Tree Stewards provide education to the community regarding the environmental benefits, appreciation, proper planting and care of trees.
The Tree Stewards are Master Gardener Volunteers who have completed the Advanced Master Gardener Tree Steward training under the auspices of Virginia Tech. The Tree Stewards concentrate on educating not only their fellow Master Gardeners, but the larger Loudoun community on tree-related issues. They actively promote the social, economic, and mental health benefits of trees, choosing projects that serve the residents of the county. The brochure, Tree Stewards, includes benefits of trees, tips on tree selection and basic tree care.
Educational Outreach Includes:
- Stop Mulch Volcanoes campaign with the brochure on proper mulching. Print a letter size poster for your event: Mulch 3-3-3 .
- Remove choking English Ivy from trees campaign – click to see web page.
- Presentations for HOAs and individual property owners on tree selection, planting and care, and the benefits of trees.
For a free consultation for your HOA or your property, or to schedule a Tree Steward presentation for your organization please send an e-mail to TS@loudouncountymastergardeners.org (if you have trouble with the email link here, just copy and paste the address into your web email and send that way).
If you have a question about a tree, please attach clear close-up photos of leaves, bark and any problem areas.
The following are some suggested resources to help you with your trees:
- US Forest Service Tree Owner’s Manual. Like an owner’s manual that comes with automobiles and appliances, this manual includes a parts list, instructions for installation, tips for troubleshooting common issues, recommended service and more. www.treeownersmanual.info
- Trees are Good – Find an Arborist. International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), the professional association of certified arborists, provides the general public with quality tree care information. https://www.treesaregood.org/findanarborist/findanarborist
- Problem-free Trees for Virginia Landscapes. Virginia Tech Publication – 450-237
- Tree and Shrub Planting Guidelines Virginia Tech Publication – 450-295
- How to prune Trees. https://www.fs.usda.gov/naspf/publications/how-prune-trees-na-fr-01-95
- Pruning Evergreen Trees. Virginia Tech Publication – 450-457