A school garden, whether vegetable or pollinator, is a great way for youth to have ownership and hands-on experiences with growing food or providing a habitat. Improved student performance, health and attitudes can be attributed to school gardens.
VCE Loudoun, in collaboration with LCPS School Nutrition Services (SNS), is committed to providing quality education and professional support for school gardens. Educating on “where does our food come from?” is the goal.
Garden Program includes:
- Teacher training
- Detailed Handbook
- Extensive educational resources on Google Drive
- Initial school visit
- Master Gardener Volunteer support on plants/pests/diseases
- Master Food Volunteer support for harvesting and food safety
- 4-H Special Interest (SPIN) After School Program
- SNS education from harvest to nutrition